Saturday, March 21, 2009

reprieve
between the seaweed
covered rocks
in the rivulets of ocean there
beneath this new spring sun

Small signs of spring are everywhere and they lend such grace to these difficult days, serving as a clear reminder to me that beauty is still found everywhere in everything no matter what. My father is home, but my life is now consumed with his care. His cognitive abilities have declined to the point that simple tasks are difficult, like tying shoes and buttoning buttons and sometimes with finding the right words. I spend a lot of my time preparing meals, cleaning, shopping, doing laundry, giving meds and calling doctors but I find the most energy is spent in keeping both my parents spirits up. I choose my words carefully; I teeter between helping him so he doesn't struggle and retreating so he doesn't feel helpless; I explain things in simple terms; I talk about the bigger world; to my mom I teach patience and acceptance and most of all, I just love love love. Today I walked around with that Ziggy Marley song in my head, "Love is my Religion" and it really has become the case. With love, nothing seems a chore or an inconvenience. However, I have really come to savor those moments I steal for myself, like walking to the beach with the dog, noticing every small turn of the tide. And here, among the rocks, I soak up the beauty, I store the happiness, and I bring it home to my parents to brighten these days in their lives.

No comments: