Monday, March 2, 2009

after visiting papa
this eighth day in rehab
snow spinning circles
on my windshield
all the years coming to this

My father had a fall two weeks ago, and thankfully, nothing was broken; he just has a very bad bruise. These past two weeks have been exhausting, emotional, hilarious, humbling and very enlightening. One of life's great learning experiences I guess you could say.

It has been especially difficult because my mother is unable to visit with him, so I have taken on that primary role, not only visiting with him every day, but talking with therapists and nurses, signing papers, doing laundry, changing batteries in hearing aides etc etc etc. But the best part is just sitting and talking with him. My father is an incredibly gentle and kind man who has had an incredible life. He has stories and songs and memories, of childhood and coming here from Nova Scotia, of the war in Japan, becoming an American citizen on Espirito Santo in the Pacific, of meeting my mother, of singing to me when I was a baby, his favorite old movies and so many more.

I have also learned so much about myself by talking with and watching my father and how he has coped with this disruption in his life. He is patient and accepting and filled with gratitude for everyone taking care of him--the people at the rehab just adore him. And he has so much compassion! This morning, his therapist had a scratchy throat so he shared his Riccola honey-lemon throat drops with her. Everyday, there is another story. Some of them are funny, some endearing, but always, they are something to pay attention to.

So, I am trying to emulate my dear father (who just turned 86) and accept what each day brings. Learning to avoid resistance really is the key to happiness. When we learn to just accept the day given to us, and that which we cannot change or control, we let go of the anxieties and open ourselves to joy.

And so we go ahead, my father and I, one day at a time, enjoying what it brings, good or bad, and finding joy in the little things that make up a day in a life. And what I have found is that every stage of life has its amazing gifts, for us living them, and for those living them with us.

Oh, and in case I didn't mention it, I am suddenly very grateful to have not found a job.

No comments: